Sendmail authentication configuration?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Sep 24 11:06:06 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 10:47 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> > you get the submission port (587) for free (no real effort) by the
> > instructions I was giving you (listening). I would expect that you can
> > instruct sendmail to use it for sending without too much difficulty (but
> > that I am not certain of the methodology).
>
> Exactly.  This is where the documentation is not clear to me.  Telling
> the server to send on a different port is not documented as far as I
> have found.
>
> BTW, I do need to use an odd port.  The relaying server does not use
> port 25 or 587.  It has to be something else.  The provider is using
> security by obscurity and requires a strange port for SMTP connections.
>
> Maybe this cannot be done by Sendmail...
----
it seems pretty absurd because the whole point of exchanging mail is to
use well-known services.

for data exchange between two systems and keep it private, it should be
done via an encrypted tunnel (VPN) or at least through an ssl tunnel.

as for sendmail doing what you want to do, there are endless amounts of
documentation for sendmail configuration but it seems that the flaw is a
conceptual, not a practical problem.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>