Sendmail authentication configuration?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Sep 24 12:06:20 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > it seems pretty absurd because the whole point of exchanging mail is to
> > use well-known services.
> Yes, it is absurd.  The whole situation, were I to tell the entire
> story, is absurd.  But, I'm not the IT department and must live within
> the choices of others.

Oh yeah.  If organizations spent some time removing brain-dead procedures,
they'd probably see productivity jump about 25-50%.  This never seems to
happen though.

>> as for sendmail doing what you want to do, there are endless amounts of
>> documentation for sendmail configuration but it seems that the flaw is a
>> conceptual, not a practical problem.
> Exactly true too.  Sendmail is so configurable that it probably can do
> what I need.  I'm just still to thick to understand the answer.

I *did* find out how to do the authentication bits with postfix though.
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/ , section 16.  Yes,
I used the same HOWTO for setting up SMTP AUTH (for MUAs) on my own
mailswerver.  My swerver talks to other MTAs on port 25 though, mostly
because it works for everything I've needed so far.

--
   I think I'll have to put on 500 pounds of subwoofers, amps, and other
   delicious herbs.  --MegaHAL, trained on ASR