New "EEE" super-portable laptop $199

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Sep 18 13:57:54 MST 2007

Am 18. Sep, 2007 schwätzte keith smith so:

> Okay, based on what you said sometime ago, I would hope they used quality flash memory units.  Given this, under moderate use, I'm expecting the flash to last 2 to 5 years.
>
> I have a laptop that is 5 years old.  The battery has long died and the laptop will reset periodically.  It really is time to replace it.  I would like to get 5 years out of the next laptop I buy.  However for $199, if I get 3 years of use I will be far ahead of the game!
>
> Did I miss the purchase information for the ASUS EEE?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/asus-new-eee-pc-701-joins-the-laptop-lite-fray-with-a-bang/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070906-asus-sets-ambitious-goals-for-eee-laptop.html

Looks like price creep is already happening.

I hope it's wildly successful as a GNU/Linux desktop product.

I'd still rather have a OLPC laptop :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  "You go to Afghanistan and you swallow enough dust that you'll pass an
#  adobe brick." -- Robin Williams, 03Aug2006