New "EEE" super-portable laptop $199

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 11:44:53 MST 2007

Okay, based on what you said sometime ago, I would hope they used quality flash memory units.  Given this, under moderate use, I'm expecting the flash to last 2 to 5 years.

I have a laptop that is 5 years old.  The battery has long died and the laptop will reset periodically.  It really is time to replace it.  I would like to get 5 years out of the next laptop I buy.  However for $199, if I get 3 years of use I will be far ahead of the game!

Did I miss the purchase information for the ASUS EEE?

Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote: keith smith wrote:
> I wonder how the flash-based data storage will last.  It is my
> understanding flash-based data storage has a finite life span and wonder
> what that really means.
>
> Is it good for a year, two years, five years?  Can I add a hard drive?
>
> It is an exceptional value and at $199 it is almost worth getting just
> to mess with.

See my comments from more than a year ago:

http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/message/20060504.231037.e6c110af.en.html

Much of what I said then still holds true.  However, flash memory and
flash controller technologies continue to improve and progress at a
rapid rate.  I think even a consumer grade flash device should last more
than a year these days, unless it is the cheap, no-name stuff.

I would hope that Asus is using higher grade stuff in this little
computer since it is the sole boot and data storage media.  There are
also tweaks that can be made to the kernel and system logging and other
things to drastically minimize the number and frequency of small writes
to the media.  They could also be using a file system that is tailored
to flash media.  Combining all of these factors, the flash media could
last many years.

I'd like to see a tear-down article with pictures for one of these
little computers.  That would be fun.

Alan

Keith Smith
(480) 584-4772