Good Linux Books for Beginners

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Mon Sep 3 16:55:11 MST 2007

David Munson wrote:
> Short version:
> Anyone know of a good Linux book for brand-new users?
<SNIP>

> Thanks for your help.

Ah, a post that's not OT. :-)

I find a lot of books too general since different distros do things a
little different and often you need the answer to a very specific
question plus book do age. But, then, so do HOW-TOs and other web pages.

However, you could download RUTE which has been a standard for a long
time. Also, is Basic Linux Training (Henry White) still around.

The Gentoo Wiki is a great source that works with many distros.

IBM developerWorks has some nice Linux tutorials.

Any of Mark Sobel's books should be helpful as well as Jon Lasser's
"Think UNIX" will get you thinking like a geek.

Often the first place we turn is Google when it should be the home page
of the distro, program or protocol we are working with. Nothing like
going to the source.

Linuxquestions.org is a good site and Jeremy does a great job of keeping
the site newbie friendly.

Ok, all this is a little short on dead tree material, I admit.

Dennisk
--
Phoenix Linux Users Group
"Penguins in the desert"