Good Linux Books for Beginners

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Mon Sep 3 17:05:46 MST 2007

David Munson wrote:
> Short version:
> Anyone know of a good Linux book for brand-new users?

I'd start with the Linux Documentation Project (LDP).  In fact, that
*is* where I started.  Back in the olden days, Linux and FreeBSD were
pretty much neck and neck on everything... except for documentation.
Linux had LDP which was a godsend for a newbie like me and FreeBSD
had... who know?  I never found anything.  Anyway, I cut my Linux/Unix
teeth on Matt's "Installation and Getting Started Guide", Lars' "System
Administrator Guide" (SAG), and Olaf's "Network Administrator Guide"
(NAG).  They were kick-ass and free!  I downloaded the postscript
formatted version of each and printed them out on the University
printers... for which I got in some trouble but it was totally worth it.

These days, I'd start with "Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide" by
"Machtelt Garrels".  This is directly aimed at newbies.  It is available
on Amazon as well, I believe.

I would then move on to the updated SAG and NAG because both are still
very good.

Then I'd start hitting the HOWTOs and other Guides.  They all rock.

If you want then in dead tree format (like I did, back in the day) just
download the PDF and print them out yourself.  I also put them into
double sided, 2up mode to minimize paper.

http://tldp.org for all of it.

Kurt