Good Linux Books for Beginners

David Munson david.munson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:50:44 MST 2007

Short version:
Anyone know of a good Linux book for brand-new users?

Extended version:
Something that teaches command line stuff, the parts of a distribution
(like what a window manager is, what a desktop environment is, the
differences between the two, what packages are, how updating works)
and other things you or others consider vital would be ideal. I'd
prefer to avoid a class, since that's time+money, and I have to
schedule around it, which isn't easy for me these days.

Long version:
So I'm new to Linux, though I'm rapidly finding out which desktop
environments and window managers I prefer, as well as which
distributions I like the best and which ones are good for what uses,
thanks to LiveDisc versions of some major distros.

However, being new to Linux, I run into problems when I need to get
something done that requires (or seems to require) the use of the
command line, or troubleshooting why a distro will load on one PC but
not on another.

I prefer my references in dead tree format, since I'll largely be
playing with linux on a notebook, and a lot of the problems I run into
are in regards to getting online when I need to do something with the
command line to diagnose and fix the issue.

Does anyone here know of good linux books for beginners? A lot of my
questions would probably be answered by reading a bit, and keep me
from bothering people with basic questions that aren't easily found
via Google, or can't be accessed since they're online and not dead
tree format.

Thanks for your help.