Free Software for m$ repository

JT Moree moreejt at pcxperience.com
Sat Sep 1 14:13:16 MST 2007

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 01:44:58 der.hans wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> anybody have suggestions for a Free Software for m$ platforms repository?

I looked for one a few years ago.  It's good to see some have come about since
then.

This is really a political problem.  When I use Ubuntu or Debian or RedHat I
am letting the vendor put the system together for me and they take care of
hosting the software too.

Since windows package management is mostly non-existant things must be
re-created by 'packager' and they can do anything they want.  For being so
standard, Windows is way behind when it comes to package management.

Using Free software on windows is great but where does it come from?  Do you
need to install libraries first (like gtk before gimp)?  Can you trust the
source?  Are the exe files infected?  Are there security checks like sha1
hashes?  Is it up to date?  Who maintains it?

Frankly the wiindows software distribution model is alot like the windows
driver model.  Poorly supported and scattered all over the net.  Hunt and
Click!

believed to be clean.