Evolution and Exchange

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Oct 26 07:50:00 MST 2007

I recently started using Evolution (2.10.3) (Debian Lenny) with the
evolution-exchange package to access my email on a 2003 MS Exchange
Server. Before, I used Evolution and Kontact to access my POP email.

Since I started using evolution-exchange, I have found that evolution
crashes about 3-5 times per day (minimum, sometimes more), and locks up
for 1-10 minutes quite frequently. BugBuddy has been faithfully
submitting bug reports, and I think I finally have all debugging symbols
installed. I should say that my Exchange Server is not on my local LAN,
but is provided by a hosting company, MailStreet. I use cox.net to
access the Internet.

Does anyone on this list use a similar setup? Are you having a similar
experience? Is the evolution-exchange setup not yet ready for primetime,
or do I need to start complaining to Mailstreet about a
slow/intermittent connection? I don't think I am experiencing
intermittent cox.net outages, since whenever evolution slows
down/crashes/locks up I can use a browser to access my Mailstreet
account with no delays.

The only reason I switched to Mailstreet is to use my Blackberry to
access my email/PIM on the road. Mailstreet also hosts BES (Blackberry
Enterprise Servers), so I can get push email and have it synchronized
with my evolution in-box. I am contemplating running my own imap server
with funambol (open source BES replacement) to see if I can get a more
reliable email service. But that setup has issues as well.

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

Mark