fans and cooling

Justin Anthony arethius at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:00:28 MST 2007

Josh Coffman wrote:
> Hi, I need to replace a fan in my home desktop, but I have a bigger
> nuisance with the thing than just that fan. It sits in a cpu cabinet
> that is built into my desk. This doesn't provide good enough air
> circulation, so I have to leave the door on that cabinet open. The
> door sticks out, is easy to bump into, and would be nice if I could
> close it.
>
> I've thought about water cooling but wouldn't I have to pump the water
> outside of the desk to cool it off? I'm sure I'd have to cool the cpu
> and the video card.. and it starts to become more of a pain.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on keeping a box cool that is inside of a desk
> cabinet? I'm not opposed to modifying the desk as long as it's not an
> ugly mod.

Just a weird suggestion that might work, but you could make the cabinet
itself a pseudo case.  What I mean by this is install fans on the side
that are inset to the wall of the cabinet that will suck air in, then
follow it up by using the same method on the back except face the fans
to blow out.  You might need to take the side of the case off but the
computer itself will be hidden and depending on your carpentry skills,
you shouldn't even be able to notice the fans on the side.  Other than
that idea, my only other one is to disconnect the door itself at it's
hinges so it's not in the way.