Apache losing ground as Internet expands

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Oct 12 11:28:39 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, David Munson wrote:
> > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34342/118/
> > According to the article, Apache is rapidly losing share to IIS as the
> > Internet continues to grow at 5% per month. Any ideas why this might be?

Part of it is that websites are easier to set up now than ever before thanks
to the blogging tools they mentioned in the article.  Netcraft may need to
tweak their definition of what a website is thanks to that.  Is
fredbob.typepad.com (5 page views/day) equal to mfrost.typepad.com (~50,000
page views/day)?  No, but they almost certainly both count as 1 website.

> I will need to look at some stats, but it might be due to other
> alternatives are taking away from Apache's current use and future use.

I hope this is the case, but I don't think it really is.  Remember that there
are a lot of people out there who don't understand tech yet are managing it.

--
...In Hong Kong action movies, they don't have Hollywood Guns with
infinite bullet supplies.  Instead, they have Hong Kong Pants(tm) which