another compiz question

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Nov 12 13:27:36 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, Cary Mabe wrote:
> cary at cary-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

Oh wow.  An SiS card?  I don't know for sure whether those things have any
accelerated 3D available at all.  The vast majority of stuff about compiz
I've seen online talks about nVidia, ATi, and Intel cards.  Um... the ebuild
for xf86-video-sis says that it uses the "dri" USE flag.  So it might work if
you do "modprobe agpgart && modprobe sis" before starting X, and you have the
appropriate Driver specified in xorg.conf .

> cary at cary-desktop:~$ glxinfo |head
> name of display: :20.0

That's a little weird too.  Usually it's :0.0 .

> direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
> LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

The kernel module that does DRI for the video chipset is either not loaded or
nonexistent.  Or xorg.conf doesn't include Load "glx" \n Load "dri" \n
Load "drm" in the Module section.  Hard to say what's really going on.  Try
restarting X.  And if *that* doesn't work, it's time to get busy
with /var/log/Xorg.0.log and possibly dmesg....

--
   If you go hit yourself with a plank, it would make a freely available
   Unix-like operating system to everyone.