Will this ethernet "splitter" work satisfactorily?

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Fri May 18 06:38:18 MST 2007

> I'm sorry, but that has to be THE stupidest thing ever sold on
> Amazon. No offense. Networking is not like telephone cabling or
> Sat/cable tv cabling, a logical sequence unique to the device
> connected to the other end runs through each line, and a hub or
> switch makes logical sense of it.

Actually it makes a lot of sense for 100Mb connections.  You run cables
through your wall and then realize you need two jacks in a room.
Instead of running a second cable, you install two of these.  One near
the patch panel, the other in the room needing two connections.  The
reason this works, the network connection only uses 4 of the 8 wires for
a 10/100Mb connection.  That leaves the other 4 free for a second
connection or to carry some other connection.  At the last job I worked
at I would split out wires from the network cables to create connections
for the phone system.