Will this ethernet "splitter" work satisfactorily?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Fri May 18 00:19:51 MST 2007

I'm sorry, but that has to be THE stupidest thing ever sold on Amazon.
No offense.
Networking is not like telephone cabling or Sat/cable tv cabling, a
logical sequence unique to the device connected to the other end runs
through each line, and a hub or switch makes logical sense of it.

Every computer has an IP address, which is associated with the MAC
address of the network card. (nic)

Basically all you need to do is plug two computers into a hub/switch,
plug that into the router and everything will work fine.

--Dan Lund

On 5/17/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> .
> While searching for ethernet cables to use with the hub that
> Lynn David Newton offered to give me, I came across this item:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Cat5e-100base-T-Line-Splitter/dp/B000BSLXDE
>
> Is there any reason why this simple "splitter" would not work
> to allow me to connect my two computers to my 2Wire router?
> I would only be using one at a time in any case.
>
> Does every computer have a separate IP address?
>
> Or, would it work if I just unplugged the ethernet cable from
> one computer and plugged it in to the other, moving them back
> and forth as needed?

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte