Moving from PHP Version 5.1.6 to PHP Version 4.3 and GD image support

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 20:45:27 MST 2007

Thanks Alex.

At the AZPHP meeting some said the same about running PHP4.  It is shared hosting and from what I have seen upgrading to PHP5 is a real headache customer service wise.

I am trying to match my dev server to my shared hosting.  Mauybe I do not need to have PHP4 on my dev server, however I do need GD support which my shared host has.

Thanks for your help.  I'll look inot yum.

Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:           keith smith wrote: I would like to move from PHP 5 to PHP 4 and include GD support.  I'm a complete novice at this type of stuff.  I would like to avoid having to install from a TAR.  Mostly for upgrade ability.
  In Debian it would be something like 'apt-get install php4 php4-gd'.  apt would remove php5 before installing php4.  I'm not sure what Fedora calls the packages, but I imagine yum provides something pretty similar.  If you want to try running both ( one as an Apache module, one under FastCGI ) I did a howto on that for AzPHP a few months ago.  http://www.deanspot.org/content/view/77/46/

 Also what PHP graphics support is more common?  My shared host has GD and I'm hearing about ImageMagick.
    Ask your host what they provide and use that.  Keep in mind that GD has changed over time.  Some releases support GIF and some don't.  You can find out what you've got with a phpinfo() call.  Check the 'GD' section.

 I know this you didn't ask, so feel free to disregard this, but I have to say that in my opinion you're taking a real step backwards by going back to PHP4.  (I say this as someone who writes PHP every day.)  PHP5 is a huge improvement, and it's a shame more people aren't taking advantage of it.

 regards,
 alex

Keith Smith
A link from my website to yours