Moving from PHP Version 5.1.6 to PHP Version 4.3 and GD image support

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Mar 19 20:24:03 MST 2007

keith smith wrote:
> I would like to move from PHP 5 to PHP 4 and include GD support.  I'm
> a complete novice at this type of stuff.  I would like to avoid having
> to install from a TAR.  Mostly for upgrade ability.
In Debian it would be something like 'apt-get install php4 php4-gd'.
apt would remove php5 before installing php4.  I'm not sure what Fedora
calls the packages, but I imagine yum provides something pretty
similar.  If you want to try running both ( one as an Apache module, one
under FastCGI ) I did a howto on that for AzPHP a few months ago.
http://www.deanspot.org/content/view/77/46/

> Also what PHP graphics support is more common?  My shared host has GD
> and I'm hearing about ImageMagick.
Ask your host what they provide and use that.  Keep in mind that GD has
changed over time.  Some releases support GIF and some don't.  You can
find out what you've got with a phpinfo() call.  Check the 'GD' section.

I know this you didn't ask, so feel free to disregard this, but I have
to say that in my opinion you're taking a real step backwards by going
back to PHP4.  (I say this as someone who writes PHP every day.)  PHP5
is a huge improvement, and it's a shame more people aren't taking
advantage of it.

regards,
alex