Moving from PHP Version 5.1.6 to PHP Version 4.3 and GD image support

Tony E - Jaraeth jaraeth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Mar 19 22:44:20 MST 2007

If you are using a RedHat based distro such as Fedora, CentOS or RedHat
itself, you can usually set the following up:

In /etc/yum.repos.d/*.conf :
  - Remove any mention of "Plus" distributions, ie: CentOS-Plus, by
setting "enabled=1" to "enabled=0". This repository will usually include
PHP5 & newer versions of Apache than you may want.
  - Set alternate repositories such as "Dag" and/or "Dries" to disabled,
same method as above: "enabled=0".  While these don't always suggest the
next and latest versions, they may include dependencies you may not want
to install at that time.

Next, check for updates and packages using Yum.  To search using YUM,
use: "yum search <packagename>". ie: "yum search php".  Also, here's a
handy list I use for CentOS based systems, which is basically RedHat
Enterprise Server 4.x, and these are all installable using
- "yum install <pkg1> <pkg2> <pkg3>"... etc

The following packages can be installed via "yum install" and should
give you full functionality, or at least similar capabilities, to that
of a hosting provider:

gd gd-devel gd-progs
ImageMagick ImageMagick-perl ImageMagick-devel
libtiff libtiff-devel
libexif libexif-devel
libjpeg libjpeg-devel
libpng libpng-devel
php php-devel php-pear php-mysql php-mbstring php-imap php-domxml php-gd
mysql mysql-server mysql-devel perl-DBD-MySQL libdbi-dbd-mysql
httpd httpd-suexec mod_auth_mysql mod_perl mod_ssl

Hope that helps...

  ~ Tony E