OT: Bitshift, howto

evb dsmntl at cox.net
Wed Mar 7 18:32:42 MST 2007

Sorry for the OT post, but all my other avenues have failed.  Thus I am
seeking out the advice of the technorati on this list.

I would like a tool(Linux or Windows)  that would bitshift all bits within a
defined scope (file/sector/partition/etc).  Specifically, I would like a
tool that will perform the following operation at the file/sector level:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_shift

I already have a tool that will shift bits at the sector level, but only if
the data is on a floppy disk and only in DOS; other media and Oses are not
supported.  VMWare also is not supported.  (That tool is called Anadisk; you
can find a trial version here, fyi:
http://retro.icequake.net/dob/files/bleuge/anadisk.207/).

The tool "Winhex" already has a simple feature (Edit > Modify Data >
Invert/XOR/RightShiftby1/LeftShiftby1) but for various reasons I cannot use
it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Eric Van Buskirk
Assistant City Prosecutor/CISSP