OT: Bitshift, howto

Carlos Macedo Gomes powerofprimes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 19:34:53 MST 2007

Hi Eric,

I believe Hex Workshop [1] (a Windows based tool) will do what you
want.  It can handle file and sector circular bitwise shifts in either
direction and has options for taking into account the data's
Endian-ness.  I'm not sure about doing an entire partition but since
you can open an entire drive w/ the tool you may be able to do the
shift.  If you have the ability to write the partition to an image
file (e.g., using something akin to DriveSpy's [2] SavePart command)
then you can bitshift the image file and possibly achieve your
objective.

Let me know if this helps or, if not, what alternatives you find as
I'd be interested in the results.  I do some digital forensics support
at work (for a local Fortune 50) and teach cybercrime/digitalforensics
at night.

thanks,
C.G.

[1] http://www.bpsoft.com/