Constant Change (was: Re: security, encryption, and healthcare)

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:05:10 MST 2007

On 3/2/07, Mike Schwartz <mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com> wrote:

> > ps. [...] the Tempe Municipal Wireless Project?
>
> As far as I know, they are still planning to go ahead with it.
> (Is there some schedule that they are "behind" on?)
> --

  Well, to be honest I am naturally skeptical.  There have been
several instances where municipal wireless projects were taken over by
big telco interests.  Usually what happens is the projects evaporate
in a haze of technical and political issues.  I did have some
lingering doubts about the contracting firm they hired to fulfill the
project.  The few interviews I saw featured some weirdo military
looking dudes.  But I don't want to cross the line from skepticism to
paranoia.  I'm not sure if you followed my little public debate on the
AZIPA list, but after that I got the clear message that big telco
wasn't messing around on this issue.

  The situation is essentially... fat cat telco chiefs who want $$$$
on one hand and a totally out of control administration that wants a
communications system that they can easily wiretap, etc. without too
much exposure to the public.

  -jmz