Constant Change (was: Re: security, encryption, and healthcare)

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 11:30:39 MST 2007

On 3/1/07, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/07, Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net> wrote:
>
> > Bubbles actually have nothing to do with money, they're about emotions
> and herd behavior, the internet had very little money in it when the last
> bubble began, it was the *perception* of "Dot Com" companies as growth
> opportunities that drove the frenzy.
> >

>   I was working on Wall St. from 2000-2001.  I saw the financial
> aspect to the dot com boom first hand.  The true story of the dot com
> bubble remains to be told.  One aspect of it that is not commonly
> reported is its correlation to activity in the telecom world.  Much of
> the rapid growth was entirely predictable given knowledge of telecom
> and the changes brought by regulation and new technology such as fiber
> optics.  So the boom was not all smoke and mirrors.
>
>   What is interesting is that given this interpretation of history,
> the telecom industry could be said to be regressing to the state it
> was in prior to the dot com bubble.  Real estate and telecom are
> related in very complex and interesting ways.  Real estate is about
> the control of space, and telecom is about transcending it.  Ponder
> that and you can understand many trends in both RE, Internet and
> Politics.  Net Neutrality, is in certain capacity, a force to
> dislocate Real Estate capital.
>
>   -jmz
>

> ps. what ever happened to the Tempe Municipal Wireless Project?
>
> --
> [...]
> JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
> IT Consultant
> ( 602 ) 490 8006
> jjzeidner at gmail.com
>

> Real estate and telecom are related in very complex and interesting ways.

yeah.  Big time.

> Real estate is about [...]

Right.  As an example, some folks pay more to live close
to work, or (if "applicable") (if they need to) close to an airport,
train station, or bus stop, etc.  (near [good] schools, shopping. . .)
- not just due to gas prices, but also because their time
is valuable.  Plus maybe other reasons.  All that stuff
(and interest rates, taxes, etc) affects real estate prices.

> the boom was not all smoke and mirrors.

The world is indeed different than a decade or two ago.
There are many reasons, but among them are, cell phones,
computers, the internet, and globalization.  People who are
trying to make decisions, whether about investing, [business],
or about what kind of career move to make, or even what to
"major" in, are always aiming at a moving target.  I guess we
all just have to get used to it, or rather "join the club", of those
who may well find it hard to get used to anything - because
things change so much / so fast.
The rapid pace of change (tech and social, "e.g."),
does not seem to be slowing down.  More like, speeding up.

> ps. [...] the Tempe Municipal Wireless Project?

As far as I know, they are still planning to go ahead with it.
(Is there some schedule that they are "behind" on?)
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org