scrolling in vim

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jun 26 16:16:35 MST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 15:35, after a long battle with technology, Lynn
David Newton wrote:
>der.hans wrote:
>> in GUI editors one can start copying with the mouse and move either
>> down or up and the editor will scroll allowing one to continue
>> copying.  Anyone know how to turn on this 'feature' in vim?

I don't know if it will do that without the mousewheel, but try ":set
mouse=a" and see what you get.  You can start a selection by dragging
with button 1, then scroll, then extend the selection by clicking with
button 3.  (Yikes, shades of Athena!)  In general, I find it easier to
press ESC v and use the cursor keys to select what I need.  YMMV.

>> Also, is there a way to select all such that it would be put into the
>> x buffer?
> I don't know the answer to your question, but I think
> that the feature you're looking for is more a property
> of what you're running vim in, which in most cases is
> in a terminal window, right?

vim generally uses the ncurses "alternate screen".  konsole and vim
treat the alternate screen differently, but neither will do what I
think you want.  By "select all", do you mean all text in the currently
active window, or all text in the currently active file?  You can copy
all the text in a file to the X clipboard buffer with ESC 1 G v 0 G " *
y .  There's probably an easier way to do that, but that's what I came
up with.  Yeah, the * register is the X clipboard when vim has been
built with X support--sorta nifty, eh?

> Unless you happen to be running GVim? (Is that even still around? I
> haven't seen it in years.)

Yeah, it's still around.

> As far as getting vim working within the browser ... I
> use the Viewsourcewith Firefox extension and have set
> it to use gnuclient as an external editor,

It's possible that der.hans wants to use vim as the editor in multi-line
text edit fields within Firefox, which could be difficult.  Note that
Konqueror can use an embedded vim in this manner.  Note also that the
last time I tried it, KDE embedded vim still had a few bugs.

[snip a bunch of gnuclient/emacs stuff]
> It's extremely cool.

Sounds really interesting.  I'll have to play with that later and fully
grok it when I'm not dealing with @#$%^ing furniture problems and
having to wake up at 5am.

--
   There was also a recipe for piña colada, in Portuguese, which the
   Google translator told me needed "hand grenades".  Someone had put in