scrolling in vim

Lynn David Newton lynn.newton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 12:35:50 MST 2007

  der.hans> Anyone know how to turn on this 'feature'
  der.hans> in vim? I normally don't want it, but there
  der.hans> are certainly times that it would be
  der.hans> convenient. Such as about 3 minutes ago :).

  der.hans> Also, is there a way to select all such
  der.hans> that it would be put into the x buffer?

  der.hans> I think this is all just an indication that
  der.hans> I need to get vim working within the
  der.hans> browser on this machine...

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think
that the feature you're looking for is more a property
of what you're running vim in, which in most cases is
in a terminal window, right? Unless you happen to be
running GVim? (Is that even still around? I haven't
seen it in years.)

As far as getting vim working within the browser ... I
use the Viewsourcewith Firefox extension and have set
it to use gnuclient as an external editor, which is a
process that runs whenever xemacs is running (if you
have the external program and set it to listen for
connections), by means of which I can make connections
to a running xemacs process, including from within
Firefox.

This means that whenever I want to View Source on a web
page, it brings it up in an xemacs window. Not only
that, but if I have my cursor in any slot within some
kind of editing form, it brings up just the contents of
that window, which is useful for editing textarea
boxes, but even more significantly, I can use the
browser to read gmail, and if I want to reply, I can
start the reply, and with my cursor in the edit window,
pres Ctrl-u, and BOING!! I've got it all in xemacs
where I can edit text with all the power I'm used to.

The external editor can be set to anything, including
I'm sure vim, or more likely to xterm -l -e vim or some
variation.

Then when I press the key combination in xemacs to
terminate the gnuclient window, it plugs what I've
edited in the window I was in. Presumabely :wq would do
the same for vim. Haven't tried it.

It's extremely cool.

--
Lynn David Newton