scrolling in vim

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Jun 26 16:03:42 MST 2007

der.hans wrote:
> in GUI editors one can start copying with the mouse and move either down
> or up and the editor will scroll allowing one to continue copying.
>
> Anyone know how to turn on this 'feature' in vim? I normally don't want
> it, but there are certainly times that it would be convenient. Such as
> about 3 minutes ago :).

Try using the visual mode.

v<use normal navigation keys to select>y

So if you go to the bottom of the screen, then this will grab three
lines and scroll the window while you do it:

vjjjy

> Also, is there a way to select all such that it would be put into the x
> buffer?

v<navigation>"xy

where 'x' is the buffer.

> I think this is all just an indication that I need to get vim working
> within the browser on this machine...

:-D  There is/was a kvim that is/was a kpart that IN THEORY should have
been able to eventually work as the text editor part of Konqueror.
Honestly, I don't know what ever happened to that.  But it's been my
dream to be able to use vi key bindings in every text editor I ever use.