How to burn a dvd most dvd players can read?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Jul 31 13:24:32 MST 2007

Alan Dayley wrote:
> Aside: Video editing and DVD authoring on Linux gets better and better
> every year.  The tools are way better now than just 2 years ago!
> However, they are not the most mature or stable...yet.  Every once in a
> while I go review what is out there.  Other PLUGgers keep me informed of
> new ones which I check out.  It is in a great state of usability but
> needs stability and polish.  Both are coming fast!

Indeed, things are getting much better.  That doesn't mean that they are
 even at the "good" stage quite yet, though.  I am running in this lack
of polish right this moment.  I have some videos taken from my camera
that I want to:

a) Edit (crop portions, insert titles)
b) Run the audio through a noise filter
c) Convert the Motion JPEG AVI into an FLV (similar to YouTube videos)

Can I do that under Linux?  The short answer is... there is no short
answer.  Yes, you sort of can if you work at it hard enough.  There's no
way I can find to do it in any GUI.  ffmpeg on the command line is used
for most of that.

But even given that, the lack of polish can be pretty irritating.  For
instance, to get rid of the noise, the procedure is roughly:

1) Extract the audio using 'ffmpeg'
2) Edit out the noise using Audacity
3) Recombine the cleaned audio also using 'ffmpeg'

Steps 1 and 3 require some reading for the correct parameters but step
two is easy.. just select a pure noise sample, then select the rest of
the clip and run through the filter and... WHAT?  What you do you mean
you can't find an audio output device!

I love Linux and I'm not about to abandon it on my primary desktop...
but for my video editing, I think I'll pop on over to my Mac and use iMovie.

Kurt