How to burn a dvd most dvd players can read?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Jul 30 22:09:42 MST 2007

Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> This is very helpful, Alan.  Now I realize that I had not thought
> this thru sufficiently.  So, a couple of follow-up questions below.
> I will probably want to try both paths, but for now, I'd just like
> to start with the simplest path.
>
> I'll download DVD Slideshow and give it a try.

http://dvd-slideshow.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

There are various GUI tools that make it easy to create the
dvd-slideshow configuration file and even fire it off for you.  The ones
I mentioned do just that.  You point it at a directory of photos and
tell it to make an .MPEG.  This you burn to the DVD with the appropriate
menus.

Try this guide with QDVDAuthor:
http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/make_a_dvd_slideshow_using_qdvdauthor

Caution: I actually like QDVDAuthor and DVDStyler
(http://www.dvdstyler.de/) but the both have a tendency to crash at
times.  As you work with it, save your project often!

Aside: Video editing and DVD authoring on Linux gets better and better
every year.  The tools are way better now than just 2 years ago!
However, they are not the most mature or stable...yet.  Every once in a
while I go review what is out there.  Other PLUGgers keep me informed of
new ones which I check out.  It is in a great state of usability but
needs stability and polish.  Both are coming fast!

> Would you please comment a little further about Path 2 as I don't
> really understand what to do get that to work.  I have two fairly
> recent DVD players and neither will display .jpg images burned onto
> a CD.

Many DVD players can also read a CD or DVD with .JPG files on it.  The
player will then provide a basic menu to navigate in directories and
display the photos.  Your player may require that the files be
structured in a certain way for it to read them.  Check the player's
manual for information.  If it doesn't mention this ability, it probably
does not have it.

Alan