How to burn a dvd most dvd players can read?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Jul 30 17:38:34 MST 2007

.
This is very helpful, Alan.  Now I realize that I had not thought
this thru sufficiently.  So, a couple of follow-up questions below.
I will probably want to try both paths, but for now, I'd just like
to start with the simplest path.

-------------------
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:06, Alan Dayley wrote
> First, there are two paths possible. You need to clarify to get the
> right answer.
>
> Path 1: You want to put the DVD in and play a movie slideshow of the
> photos.
>
> Here you have to use a video editor and/or encoder to turn each slide
> into a video movie of some seconds each and then concatenate them
> together into a movie.
>
> There are several tools that can do this so it is not too hard.  Look
> for DVDStyler, QDVDAuthor or any other tool that uses the command
> line tool dvdslideshow.  If you want more information about this one,
> keep this thread going.
>
> Path 2: You want to have the player provide a slideshow of .JPG files.
>
> This path depends on "special" capability of the player to read and
> navigate .JPG files.  Most players within a couple of years old can
> do this.  This would be easiest on the computer side because you
> just burn the .JPG files to the disc and you are done.

I'll download DVD Slideshow and give it a try.

Would you please comment a little further about Path 2 as I don't
really understand what to do get that to work.  I have two fairly
recent DVD players and neither will display .jpg images burned onto
a CD.