How to burn a dvd most dvd players can read?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Jul 30 15:06:42 MST 2007

Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> How can I burn a dvd with a collection of jpg photos
> so it can be viewed on our TV by most any dvd player?
>
> I have K3b version 0.12.4-svn) but don't see that it has
> an option to do this.  I'd actually prefer to be able to
> do it with a simple command line command, but if not that,
> what other Linux program do I need?

First, there are two paths possible.  You need to clarify to get the
right answer.

Path 1: You want to put the DVD in and play a movie slideshow of the photos.

Here you have to use a video editor and/or encoder to turn each slide
into a video movie of some seconds each and then concatenate them
together into a movie.

There are several tools that can do this so it is not too hard.  Look
for DVDStyler, QDVDAuthor or any other tool that uses the command line
tool dvdslideshow.  If you want more information about this one, keep
this thread going.

Path 2: You want to have the player provide a slideshow of .JPG files.

This path depends on "special" capability of the player to read and
navigate .JPG files.  Most players within a couple of years old can do
this.  This would be easiest on the computer side because you just burn
the .JPG files to the disc and you are done.

Alan