software RAID 1 w/3 Drives

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jul 24 15:23:31 MST 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 17:44, after a long battle with technology,
der.hans wrote:
> Am 24. Jul, 2007 hawn Badger wrote:
>> The only time I have ever heard of [losing] more than one disk in a
>> day has been due to some type of power surge that usually fried the
>> server [as] well.
> Ah, but are you sure you can get to it the same day?
> If it's in a datacenter at work it should be easy, except maybe over
> a long weekend...

Or if all 3 disks were serial#s 12345, 12346, and 12347 all from the
same manufacturer, and so suffered from insanely similar manufacturing
flaws.  I haven't seen this happen, but I've heard from people who have
(though this was always with 2-disk RAID-1, not 3.)

> If it's in a telco station in the boonies or driving around Mars
> you're not in good shape to just hop out and pop in a new drive :).
> /me pats his RAID 5 and remembers to keep working on his offsite
> backups.

If you have a station in the boonies, you try to have a warm body
somewhere near the boonies.  Usually.  Mars is a whole different can of
worms full of Pandora's boxes.  Offsite backups are always a good
thing, and easier now that there's decent bandwidth and rsync.

--
   Due to inflation, your 40 acres and a mule have now been reduced to
   400 square feet and a guinea pig.