software RAID 1 w/3 Drives

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Jul 24 14:44:28 MST 2007

Am 24. Jul, 2007 schwätzte Shawn Badger so:

> That is why it is nice to have the mirror and the data replicated to another
> disk. But what are the chances of loosing 3 disk on the same system within
> such a short time frame that you would not be able to replace a single disk
> that failed? The only time I have ever heard of loosing more than one disk
> in a day has been due to some type of power surge that usually fried the
> server has well.

Ah, but are you sure you can get to it the same day?

If it's in a datacenter at work it should be easy, except maybe over a
long weekend...

If it's in a telco station in the boonies or driving around Mars you're
not in good shape to just hop out and pop in a new drive :).

In any case, we can leave all these questions for the people who're
actually needing to double mirror things.

/me pats his RAID 5 and remembers to keep working on his offsite backups.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Communications without intelligence is noise;
#  Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
#  Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC