software RAID 1 w/3 Drives

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:46:46 MST 2007

A spare allows the system to hum along at the same data rate without
living in a constant degraded state.  The idea is to keep it "business
as usual" even with a disk failure... where if you lose a disk in a
spare-less raid1 setup, there's a degraded performance because it's
doing things behind the scenes to keep things in check so when the raid
array has a disk added it can replicate back to it properly.

If you buy the disks in the same batch, you run the risk of them dying
at the same time, also... so that's another thought when doing raid.