770, N800, Gp2x, etc.

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Jan 11 11:33:40 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 01:17:35PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> I'm not sure that most people care, but since I know that you do Hans, it
> is important to note the the Nokia software isn't 100% free.  They've
> released a bunch, but there are still a few binary blobs for things like
> Wifi and some of the DSP stuff.  I'm not sure about the GP2X.
>
> Overall, I think Nokia is trying, but they still really haven't figured
> out how to release a free product and get that in sync with their internal
> development models.

Most people don't care, which is the problem. Also, the "Linux Press"
doesn't do nearly enough to make this an issue.

While NOT apologizing for failures on the part of Nokia or other
vendors, how are they supposed to behave when they can release blobby
stuff and the press fawns all over them?

Users see a "thumbs up" in their fave Linux news source and think it's
all good. The press sees that users only care that it "just works."
Chicken & Egg situation, fer sure, but it seems obvious to me that the
media are the ones to deal with on that point. Firstly, it's their job
to get it straight. Secondly, there are fewer of them to educate. Let
them help educate the masses.

I think I see an article/editorial coming on... :)

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |