770, N800, Gp2x, etc.

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Jan 11 12:17:46 MST 2007

Am 11. Jan, 2007 schwätzte Ted Gould so:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, der.hans wrote:
>> the Gp2x is much less expensive than the Nokia products, but also plays
>> video and audio.
>>
>> No bluetooth or WiFi. Dunno if it has a developer community working on the
>> software.
>
> I'm not sure that most people care, but since I know that you do Hans, it
> is important to note the the Nokia software isn't 100% free.  They've
> released a bunch, but there are still a few binary blobs for things like
> Wifi and some of the DSP stuff.  I'm not sure about the GP2X.

Didn't realize there were binary blobs for the kernel. They have Opera and
some other proprietary software, but that should be easy enough to
replace. Kernel blobs are a different issue.

> Overall, I think Nokia is trying, but they still really haven't figured
> out how to release a free product and get that in sync with their internal
> development models.

And they are doing a better job than most. If we prove there's a market
for the reliability and adaptability of Free Software we will have more
companies happy to work with Linux.

> If you want lots of details, read the maemo-developers list and watch
> people complain and discuss it (a lot) :)

I might actually start doing that.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  "If it's not a toy you're looking at it wrong." -- der.hans