Got hacked?

Jim arizona.anorak at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 21:15:27 MST 2007

Last night I came home from work and sat down at the computer.  I
noticed the lights on the DSL router were blinking very rapidly.  I have
an ftp server running on my linux box (Slackware 10.2).  So I thought
someone might have been uploading something.

Ftpwho showed no users logged in.  I checked the incoming directory and
saw nothing there.

Tcpdump showed me that they were sending something using ssh.

I used find to look for anything they might have been uploading, but
found nothing.

/var/log/syslog contained the following over and over for about 4 hours
before I got home

Feb 22 20:43:56 ladmo smbd[6375]: [2007/02/22 20:43:56, 0]
printing/print_cups.c:cups_cache_reload(85)
Feb 22 20:43:56 ladmo smbd[6375]:   Unable to connect to CUPS server
localhost - Connection refused

Then I found in /var/log/syslog this over and over

Feb 21 22:11:14 ladmo sshd[26255]: error: Could not get shadow
information for NOUSER

I stopped sshd and edited /etc/sshd_config by adding the following:
AllowUsers root jim
AllowGroups root

To test the change, I tried to log into the server via ssh and using
another account.  It wouldn't let me log in using that other account via
ssh.

I also tried
find / -mmin 1200 -size +100k
and without the size option, but found nothing from the time this was
going on.

After all this I tried to send an email, but sendmail wasn't working.  I
backed up my sendmail config files, uninstalled sendmail, reinstalled it
and restored the config files.  Sendmail worked after that.

Is there anything else I should do?

thanks

--

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin