To make sure it works.....

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Feb 22 19:59:23 MST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Eric "Shubes" wrote:

> Xubuntu. It uses Xfce, not GNOME nor KDE.
> You *can* install GNOME or KDE applications, but I'm guessing that doing so
> will slow you back down.

This research is interesting:
http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html

According to that research, not much difference with Xfce and web browser
versus KDE and its konqueror web browser (which both beat Gnome plus web
browser). And not much difference between Xfce + kword or KDE + kword.
And if you use openoffice.org Writer plus Xfce that uses a lot more
memory than KDE plus Kword.

For years, I used blackbox. But for almost a year I have been using jwm.

I'd really like to write books about building and maintaining the
"lightweight server" and the "lightweight desktop".

  Jeremy C. Reed