looking at laptops

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Tue Dec 11 09:25:57 MST 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:52:29 -0700, eric wrote

> > > According to that page, "You will never need virus protection"...ummm,
> > > what?  Either they're ignorant, or lying...either way I'm not sure I'd
> > > want to do business with such a company.
> >
> > I guess you're going to back that up with a list of Ubuntu viruses?
>
> If they were to say that Linux/Ubuntu was highly resistant to virii,
> I'd be OK with that.  But to pass it off as immune is just plain wrong.
> Linux, by design, is highly resistant to virii, and being a multi-
> user OS will contain damage rather well.  Virii haven't been able to
> take hold in *nix-like OSes because the vast majority of people
> running them now know better than to make such a novice mistake as
> running as root all the time.  But given the large number of people
> wishing to turn off UAC in Vista because it's such an inconvience,
> how long will it be before people who don't know any better (because
> they were told that Linux is virus-proof) start doing everything as
> root because it too is easier?
>
> eric

But you didn't answer the question, Eric,
and I would be very interested to know
if there is an answer to the question
that was asked of you.

Can you (or anyone) provide a list of viruses (virii)
that are known to have worked to cause damage on Linux
distros (Ubuntu and others)?