looking at laptops

eric ericlists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 22:52:29 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 19:55 -0800, Ted Gould wrote:

> > According to that page, "You will never need virus protection"...ummm,
> > what?  Either they're ignorant, or lying...either way I'm not sure I'd
> > want to do business with such a company.
>
> I guess you're going to back that up with a list of Ubuntu viruses?

If they were to say that Linux/Ubuntu was highly resistant to virii, I'd
be OK with that.  But to pass it off as immune is just plain wrong.
Linux, by design, is highly resistant to virii, and being a multi-user
OS will contain damage rather well.  Virii haven't been able to take
hold in *nix-like OSes because the vast majority of people running them
now know better than to make such a novice mistake as running as root
all the time.  But given the large number of people wishing to turn off
UAC in Vista because it's such an inconvience, how long will it be
before people who don't know any better (because they were told that
Linux is virus-proof) start doing everything as root because it too is
easier?

eric