looking at laptops

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Dec 11 09:40:19 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 22:52 -0700, eric wrote:

> > > According to that page, "You will never need virus protection"...ummm,
> > > what?  Either they're ignorant, or lying...either way I'm not sure I'd
> > > want to do business with such a company.
> >
> > I guess you're going to back that up with a list of Ubuntu viruses?
>
> If they were to say that Linux/Ubuntu was highly resistant to virii, I'd
> be OK with that.  But to pass it off as immune is just plain wrong.

I don't disagree with you, but I would say that boycotting a site
because they say something you can't disprove is a tad bit silly.

Part of the problem Linux has in marketing to large companies is that IT
departments get upset that there is no virus scanner in most Linux
distributions.  Even though, today, there is nothing for such a scanner
to scan for.  It's important that, as a community, we don't punish those
who are trying for not trying hard enough.  I think it's pretty cool
they're selling laptops with Linux on them.

		--Ted