Took the plunge but broke pieces of the raft...

Rhune Lord rhunelord at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 06:40:35 MST 2007

Hi everyone,

I decided that the only way for me to truly get into Linux was the
same way I used Windows when 3.11 had come out: make it my only
option.

Well I have a Dell1520 (My replacement system got in from being stolen
yeah!!!) with specs:

Dell Inspiron 1520
2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB of Ram
160GB HDD
Sigmatel Audio
nVidia 8600GS (256MB)
DVD -/+ RW

Running a fresh install of Gusty 7.10

I have two issues:
=========

A) No Sound

I have tried the following:
1. Boot from live CD; install
2. Boot from hard drive
3. Enable restricted nVidia drivers - THIS DID NOT WORK!!!  The latest
8000 Series Cards are not supported
	3b. This however has not affected my display.
4. Enable restricted Broadcomm drivers for LAN.
5. Got Add/Remove to load NDiswrapper for wireless support (yeah I can
troubleshoot from a couch)
6. Tried to Install Ubuntu updates but it said there were none
7. Attempted Audio fixes (I've included my steps, and alternatives
from others - choose only one)
	a. Fix suggested by "alexander.forster" (preferred)
                o sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-generic
(you'll need to enter password)
		o Reboot so all changes take effect; you should now have sound
		"This did not work I got the Broken packages statement in Terminal"

	b. Fix2
                o sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
                o sudo apt-get install patch
                o wget
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
                o tar xvpjf alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
                o cd alsa-driver-1.0.15
                o ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel,emu10k1
                o make
                o sudo make install
		o Reboot so all changes take effect; you should now have sound
		"This one seemed to work but after reboot no sound."

	c. Fix3 * Alternative fix suggested by "lefthand"
                o sudo apt-get install module-assistant (you'll need
to enter password)
		"This did not work I got the Broken packages statement in Terminal"
*** The four commands below I never got to because of the error in the
broken pakages ***
                o sudo m-a update
                o sudo m-a prepare
                o sudo m-a a-i alsa
		o Reboot so all changes take effect; you should now have sound

B) Synaptic Package Manager

Ok I tried to install Wine and Wesnoth Games but Add/Remove with "All
Available Applications" would not load it because Synaptic Package
manager wants to control them, and won't let me install them.  Now I
have not tried the last item Der.Hans mentioned yet but I will later
today when I get off work.

aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade

========
Well at least wireless is working now, and any other ideas I would loe
to bounce back and forth.

Thanks,
Brian