Took the plunge but broke pieces of the raft...

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sat Dec 8 10:36:42 MST 2007

Am 08. Dec, 2007 schwätzte Rhune Lord so:

moin moin,

> I decided that the only way for me to truly get into Linux was the
> same way I used Windows when 3.11 had come out: make it my only
> option.
>
> Well I have a Dell1520 (My replacement system got in from being stolen
> yeah!!!) with specs:
>
> Dell Inspiron 1520
> 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
> 2GB of Ram
> 160GB HDD
> Sigmatel Audio
> nVidia 8600GS (256MB)
> DVD -/+ RW
>
> Running a fresh install of Gusty 7.10
>
> I have two issues:

Both are hardware support issues. Please call Dell and complain about lack
of support for GNU/Linux. Remind them this is for Ubuntu, which is what
Michael Dell, their CEO and founder, runs. I don't actually expect that to
help you on the phone, but the more calls they get asking why GNU/Linux
isn't working the more they'll see that GNU/Linux support is important to
their entire line.

> =========
>
> A) No Sound

cat /dev/sndstat

ciao,

der.hans
#  "You go to Afghanistan and you swallow enough dust that you'll pass an
#  adobe brick." -- Robin Williams, 03Aug2006