No subject

Tue Aug 28 17:24:13 MST 2007

64-bit Linux distributions

Since Cedega is intended to run standard 32-bit Windows games, it is by
nature a 32-bit application. When running Cedega on a 64-bit Linux system,
an appropriate 32-bit compatibility environment must be available. Please
see the documentation for your Linux distribution to learn more about
running 32-bit applications on your system.

Additionally the following items may be of note:

   - ALSA 1.0.11 or later is required in order to have working mmap
   support for ALSA on 64-bit kernels. If you have an earlier version of AL=
SA
   you should either disable mmap, or upgrade your ALSA drivers.
   - Depending on your system, you may also need to install 32-bit OpenGL
   drivers. Please run the video system tests to determine if you have work=
ing
   32-bit OpenGL drivers.
   - Joysticks may not be working with 64-bit kernels. On recent kernels
   (e.g. 2.6.16) you may be able to get working 32-bit joystick via the Lin=
ux
   2.2 interface. In order to use this, you must modprobe the ``joydev''
   module. However it is not possible to get force feedback via this older
   interface.

"
On Jan 10, 2008 10:31 AM, Erich Newell <erich.newell at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > issues with Linux game performance also apply (you'll want your vendor'=
> > proprietary 3D drivers, etc).
> >
> > On Jan 8, 2008 5:58 PM, Erich Newell <erich.newell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hmm. It would be a total hack...but if they allow mounting of the
> > > drives via the network, you could run VMWare with windoze...mount the
> > > ISO via DaemonTools and share it out?
> > >
> > > I don't have games with these requirements any longer. Actually, the
> > > newest game I play is UrbanTerror 4.1, which is based on Quake3
> > > (ioQuake)...I'd like to try the newer games, but not enough to guinea
> > > pig their feasibility under reenix.
> > >
> > > What Steam-based games work and what horsepower is needed? What's the
> > > performance hit?

> > you
> > support
> > hand,

> the
> devices

> of
> > those
> > install
> an
> > nothing
> of
> > the
> > Counter-Strike:
> with
> > Wine.
> Cedega
> > on
> the

> and
> missed
> > out
> so
> said,
> > small,

> the
> as
> > much
> > Especially

> > arguments

> other
> > PC
> > agreed
> gaming
> > on

> never
> > as
> from
> happy

> > consoles

> consoles
> > are

> games.
> > Yes

> > suppose
> > discussion

> goes

> > > --
> > > "A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
> > > about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes
> > > through life."
> > >

> > --
> >  Amarok: Rediscover your music.
> > -- http://amarok.kde.org
> >
> > Sabayon Linux: Cutting Gentoo's edge.
> > -- http://www.sabayonlinux.org

> "A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
> about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes

--=20
Amarok: Rediscover your music.
-- http://amarok.kde.org

Sabayon Linux: Cutting Gentoo's edge.
-- http://www.sabayonlinux.org

------=_Part_99_25240172.1200026129223

Your rig should have plenty of power for those games. :-)<br><br>From some =
Cedega release notes: &quot;<br><h2><a name=3D"64bit_linux_distributions">6=
4-bit Linux distributions</a></h2>
by nature a 32-bit application. When running Cedega on a 64-bit Linux
system, an appropriate 32-bit compatibility environment must be
available. Please see the documentation for your Linux distribution to
learn more about running 32-bit applications on your system.</p>
<ul><li><a name=3D"item_alsa_1_2e0_2e11_or_later_is_required_in_order_to_h"=
>ALSA
1.0.11 or later is required in order to have working mmap support for
ALSA on 64-bit kernels. If you have an earlier version of ALSA you
should either disable mmap, or upgrade your ALSA drivers.</a>

</li><li><a name=3D"item_depending_on_your_system_2c_you_may_also_need_to_i=
">Depending
on your system, you may also need to install 32-bit OpenGL drivers.
Please run the video system tests to determine if you have working
32-bit OpenGL drivers.</a>

64-bit kernels. On recent kernels (e.g. 2.6.16) you may be able to get
working 32-bit joystick via the Linux 2.2 interface. In order to use
this, you must modprobe the ``joydev&#39;&#39; module. However it is not
possible to get force feedback via this older interface. </a>

ich Newell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:erich.newell at gmail.com">erich.newell at gmail=
.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-le=
ft: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: =
1ex;">
This sounds highly promising. I will be looking into it once I&#39;m all<br=
>packed and set to move (I&#39;m moving to SF next month). Mostly I want to=
br>Rainbow Cracker / DVD Ripper / FTA Satellite Receiver is an Opteron<br>1=
80, 4GB RAM with an NVidia 7800GS...hopefully enough power. In any<br>case,=
 right now I&#39;m running SpinRite on my main rig because of some
br>a software bug and not actual hardware flaking out...<br><br>Another tho=
ught comes to mind: Are there any issues running 32bit<br>compatible Wine/C=
edega on a 64bit platform that you&#39;re aware of?
raphics are a bit dated, but the gameplay is fantastic and much<br>better t=
han the original counterstrike in my book (it uses Q3A physics<br>with a 12=
5fps cap). I recommend the FSK405 servers (My nick is
at<br>large as the game is so old, but I take this as a positive because<br=
>there are a majority of mature players online rather than the vast<br>
numbers of whiny, small ego-ed, punks one finds populating most FPS<br>game=
 servers. Oh...and did I mention it runs AWESOME on Linux? There<br>is even=
 a 64bit binary that works flawlessly...also, being such an old<br>game one=
 can play it on old hardware...in case you want to have
dware.<br><br>P.S. Once you&#39;re comfortable with the game, there is an a=
dvanced<br>player map called Superman...which is fun to run around on and
;<a href=3D"mailto:patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com">patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com</a>&gt;=
 wrote:
n to<br>&gt; consider is CDEMU, which supports mounting Alcohol images (whi=
ch are able to<br>&gt; contain tricks to make them act like copyrighted dis=
cs). The problem for
ve. The<br>&gt; issue, though, doesn&#39;t lie in the emulation software; C=
edega implements the<br>&gt; copy-protection stuff such that you can use th=
e original disc successfully.
t it before, but later<br>&gt; forgot. I&#39;ll give it a whirl, and if it&=
#39;s (close to) as good as<br>&gt; Counter-Strike, I&#39;ll use it as a re=
placement. As far as running Steam games
gt; Which emulation software will you use?<br>&gt; If you use the partially=
 proprietary Cedega, you have a bit more of a<br>&gt; guarantee, and maybe =
better performance. On the other hand, if you choose
ty setting<br>&gt; up. Wine vs Cedega performance used to lean hard in Cede=
ga&#39;s favor, but Wine<br>&gt; has made leaps in DirectX support recently=
, and is often as good as or
 commonly<br>&gt; updated. Read up on the Cedega forums at <a href=3D"http:=
//transgaming.org" target=3D"_blank">transgaming.org</a> (or maybe it&#39;s
ga.com</a>) before you decide whether or not to invest in it (it&#39;s<br>&=
gt; pretty cheap, though, so I wouldn&#39;t worry as long as you remember t=
o cancel
 you want to run have OpenGL support?<br>&gt; If they do, you can actually =
get very close to native performance, as the<br>&gt; graphics calls (often =
the most demanding as far as computation work) are
, read around<br>&gt; online. Any game that also has a Mac version has an O=
penGL option.<br>&gt; Experiment with OpenGL vs DirectX; different games wo=
rk better with one or
m games have options that can greatly affect performance, especially<br>&gt=
; under Wine/Cedega. You can, for example, specify which DirectX version yo=
u&#39;d
by game<br>&gt; shortcuts). You can find the command line options documenta=
tion for Valve<br>&gt; games here.<br>&gt; -Steam uses the Microsoft core f=
onts, which Wine does not come with! Neither
ppropriate<br>&gt; packages, or install the TTFs in your Wine font folder m=
anually. Otherwise,<br>&gt; you end up with a blank steam interface.<br>
&gt; -Steam (but not the games) performance can be greatly affected by Wine=
&#39;s<br>&gt; scheduler options.<br>&gt; -Source games may have some sound=
 issues.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; For more detailed help on these Steam problems/wor=
karounds, visit the Wine
s performance... if you&#39;re barely running the games under Windows,<br>&=
gt; don&#39;t attempt them under Linux. If you can run them on max settings=
,
em on max<br>&gt; settings with slightly less performance or on lower setti=
ngs with comparable<br>&gt; performance, but either way, playability is a s=
ure bet. Of course, the usual
 8, 2008 5:58 PM, Erich Newell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:erich.newell at gmail.com=
">
erich.newell at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; &gt; Hmm. It would be a total=
 hack...but if they allow mounting of the<br>&gt; &gt; drives via the netwo=
rk, you could run VMWare with windoze...mount the<br>&gt; &gt; ISO via Daem=
onTools and share it out?
ny longer. Actually, the<br>&gt; &gt; newest game I play is UrbanTerror 4.1=
, which is based on Quake3<br>&gt; &gt; (ioQuake)...I&#39;d like to try the=
 newer games, but not enough to guinea
 What Steam-based games work and what horsepower is needed? What&#39;s the<=
&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; On Jan 8, 2008 5:23 PM, Patrick C &lt;<=
a href=3D"mailto:patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com">patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com</a>&gt; w=
rote:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; I&#39;ve actually done a LAN party from Linux, myse=
lf, so I could talk to
660 -o loop`, the<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; copy-protection features used by many m=
odern games are unsupported<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; (nonexistent) on Linux. Cedeg=
a provides these services, but does not
, 2008 3:53 PM, Erich Newell &lt;
rote:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Awesome to hear. I&#39;d like to pick his brai=
n on how he has some of the<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; games configured...as fa=
r as the &quot;cons&quot;: Wine can be fooled into
m as loop devices<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; under fstab and then adding them u=
 &gt; &gt;
t; &gt; &gt; On Jan 8, 2008 3:41 PM, Patrick C &lt; <a href=3D"mailto:patri=
ck.pxc.c at gmail.com">
patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com</a> &gt; wrote:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; I just =
thought I&#39;d throw this out there, since it&#39;s related...<br>&gt; &gt=
; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; I just threw a LAN party on th=
e 31st with about 18 people. One of
or the reason that he couldn&#39;t<br>&gt; install<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &=
gt; Windows on his computer. He said that his Windows XP license is an<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; upgrade<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; from a Windows 98 licens=
e which is also an upgrade license, and<br>&gt; nothing<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &=
gt; &gt; older than that recognizes his CD-ROM drive. He already had most o=
recent, some older:<br>&gt; Counter-Strike:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Sou=
rce, Warcraft III, Starcraft, Age of Empires III) working with<br>&gt; Wine=
.
ere simply buggy) I threw my copy of Cedega<br>&gt; on<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; th=
ere<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; and pointed them to his Wine directories fo=
r the shortcuts, and the
ly well.<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; The cons w=
ere not really show-stoppers. A minor performance loss and<br>&gt; a<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; slightly more complicated installation process. Th=
&gt; were tools like Daemon Tools and Daemonscript (which I combined so
ound CDs)--not the games themselves. That said,<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; real<br>&=
gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Linux games hardly exist outside of Id Software&#39=
;s stuff, and the
uaranteed to work with Cedega/Wine is somewhat<br>&gt; small,<br>&gt; &gt; =
&gt; &gt; &gt; including only the biggest titles.<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &g=
t;
=3D"mailto:moreejt at pcxperience.com">moreejt at pcxperience.com</a> &gt; wrote:=
; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Hash: SHA1
kell wrote:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Sorry, but this argument =
falls on its face when you consider the<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; cost<br>&gt; &gt;=
 &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; of the console and quality of the game. When a co=
nsole costs as
, I hardly call that being better.<br>&gt; Especially<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt=
; &gt; &gt; &gt; since the cost of the games is almost the same.<br>&gt; &g=
t; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;
 to miss my point entirely. &nbsp;I disagree with your<br>&gt; arguments<br=
>&gt; &gt; &gt; but<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; we&#39;re quite off to=
pic I think.
ecap:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Chr=
is made a point about gaming on windows being better than other<br>&gt; PC
this statement--in fact I<br>&gt; agreed<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; w=
ith it. &nbsp;But I went a step further and made a point that gaming<br>&gt=
; on<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Windows stinks compared to consoles.<br>&gt; =
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; I then gave reaso=
ns why PC gaming (Windows, LInux, MAc) is never<br>&gt; as<br>&gt; &gt; &gt=
; &gt; &gt; &gt; simple and easy as a console. &nbsp;I am the one who gets =
calls from
elp with their stupid PC problems. &nbsp;I&quot;ll be happy<br>&gt; to<br>&=
gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; refer them to you if you disagree with my asse=
ssment. ;)
by saying people who want to play games should buy<br>&gt; consoles<br>&gt;=
 &gt; &gt; (so<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; that they dont&#39; call ME=
 when they have problems.)
ed to reply with something along the lines of: consoles<br>&gt; are<br>&gt;=
 &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; lower quality and more expensive to upgrade than =
PCs. &nbsp;Again, I
it&#39;s OK to disagree with each other.<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<b=
r>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Then you proceeded to explain why LInux has=
 few commercial games.
h all of that and it only reinforces my point.<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; =
&gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; I don&#39;t think there&#39;s anythin=
g constructive to say here. &nbsp;I
 reply if I&#39;ve misunderstood your response but is this<br>&gt; discussi=
on<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; serving any purpose? &nbsp;I&#39;m regr=
etting that I replied to the OP.
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; JT Mor=E9e<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; P=
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; --<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &=
gt; &gt; &gt; This message has been scanned for viruses and<br>&gt; &gt; &g=
t; &gt; &gt; &gt; dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
gt; &gt; &gt; MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support.<br>&=
gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; -------------=
br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;=
 &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; --<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; Amarok: Re=
discover your music.<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; -- <a href=3D"http://amaro=
k.kde.org" target=3D"_blank">
; &gt; Sabayon Linux: Cutting Gentoo&#39;s edge.<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt=
; -- <a href=3D"http://www.sabayonlinux.org" target=3D"_blank">http://www.s=
abayonlinux.org
</a><br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; ------------------------------------------=
=3D"mailto:PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us">PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.p=
hoenix.az.us
</a><br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change yo=
ur mail settings:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://lists.PLUG.=
.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
 &quot;A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
 way he goes<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; through life.&quot;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; &=

rok: Rediscover your music.<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; -- <a href=3D"http://amarok.k=
t; &gt; &gt; Sabayon Linux: Cutting Gentoo&#39;s edge.
ank">http://www.sabayonlinux.org</a><br>&gt; &gt; &gt; --------------------=
 -=20
.plug.phoenix.az.us</a><br>&gt; &gt; &gt; To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to =
change your mail settings:<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://lists.PLUG.p=
hoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss" target=3D"_blank">
http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss</a><br>&gt; &=
; &quot;A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
es<br>&gt; &gt; through life.&quot;<br>&gt; &gt; --------------------------=
=3D"mailto:PLUG-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us">
cribe, or to change your mail settings:<br>&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://list=
//lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
Rediscover your music.<br>&gt; -- <a href=3D"http://amarok.kde.org" target=
g Gentoo&#39;s edge.
uss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us">
, or to change your mail settings:<br>&gt; <a href=3D"http://lists.PLUG.pho=
UG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss
hat he asks; and the way he goes<br>about finding the answers to those ques=
tions is the way he goes<br>through life.&quot;<br>------------------------=