Change OpenOffice.org Impress fonts?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Aug 31 08:52:40 MST 2007

Dennis Kibbe wrote:

> The font that you didn't have is Gill Sans from the Monotype Foundry
> (Yes, this fount was originality cast in metal.) You can read the
> history of the font here:
> http://www.monotypefonts.com/Library/HiddenGems.asp?show=gillsans.
>
> I found the original presentation looked fine in OO.org on Windoze since
> I have the Gill Sans installed and it most likely came with an older
> version of CorelDraw. CorelDraw came with thousands of quality fonts
> both in TrueType & Type 1. Gill Sans also comes with several M$ products. (
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FID=155&FNAME=Gill+Sans+MT)
>
> An interesting thing about fonts is that while you can copyright the
> name you can't copyright the look. So there can be only one font named
> Helvetica but many "clones" such as Swiss, Geneva, etc.

Fonts and how they are created, copyrighted, used, etc. is far more
fascinating then most people know.  I studied about it years ago.  Fun
stuff.

I did have a related question brought to mind from your message.  I
tweaked the presentation by slightly changing the size of the text.
But, the specified font is still Gill Sans.  OpenOffice.org is just
picking the closest equivalent that I have installed.  I think I should
change the presentation file to specify the font that is actually in use.

How do I get OpenOffice.org Impress to tell me the font it is actually
using?

Alan