Change OpenOffice.org Impress fonts?

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Fri Aug 31 08:02:36 MST 2007

Alan Dayley wrote:
> Dennis Kibbe wrote:
>> Isn't this what Styles & Formatting is designed for? Just type F11 and
>> right click on the style and modify it globally. You do it exactly the
>> same way in Writer.
>
> Ah, yes.  You are so right, Dennis.  I excitedly tweaked the styles and
> found...no change.  The author of this presentation did not use styles.
>
>> ASIDE: Whenever someone says that OO.org didn't import and format a
>> document correctly, click on View / Nonprinting Characters (CRTL F10).
>> Nine times out of ten (I'd bet) the document was formated using tabs and
>> spaces just as one would have done if using a typewriter. These "hard"
>> characters force inappropriate on the new document.
>
> I've seen such formating issues before (and will again).  This is not
> the issue in my case.
>
>> Anyone who has prepped someone else's document for printing will be
>> shaking their head in agreement.
>
> Exactly!
>
> Just to close out this story, I solved the problem last night by editing
> the text of the slides in Outline mode.  It took a while with 43 slides
> in the presentation.  But, I did it while relaxing in the living room,
> watching a show with my wife so it wasn't too bad.
>
> For the curious, the presentation is a Creative Commons, Attribution
> Only licensed "Introduction to Scrum" by Mike Cohn of Mountain Goat
> Software.
> (http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentation_view/30)  If you want
> my no content changed, font tweaked, OpenOffice.org Impress version,
> I'll be happy to email it to you. (2.9MB in size)  I'm boning up and
> getting ready for http://desertcodecamp.com.
>
> Alan

Alan,

The font that you didn't have is Gill Sans from the Monotype Foundry
(Yes, this fount was originality cast in metal.) You can read the
history of the font here:
http://www.monotypefonts.com/Library/HiddenGems.asp?show=gillsans.

I found the original presentation looked fine in OO.org on Windoze since
I have the Gill Sans installed and it most likely came with an older
version of CorelDraw. CorelDraw came with thousands of quality fonts
both in TrueType & Type 1. Gill Sans also comes with several M$ products. (
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FID=155&FNAME=Gill+Sans+MT)

An interesting thing about fonts is that while you can copyright the
name you can't copyright the look. So there can be only one font named
Helvetica but many "clones" such as Swiss, Geneva, etc.

Dennisk
--
Phoenix Linux Users Group
"Penguins in the desert"