Change OpenOffice.org Impress fonts?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Aug 31 09:30:55 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 08:52 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> >
> > The font that you didn't have is Gill Sans from the Monotype Foundry
> > (Yes, this fount was originality cast in metal.) You can read the
> > history of the font here:
> > http://www.monotypefonts.com/Library/HiddenGems.asp?show=gillsans.
> >
> > I found the original presentation looked fine in OO.org on Windoze since
> > I have the Gill Sans installed and it most likely came with an older
> > version of CorelDraw. CorelDraw came with thousands of quality fonts
> > both in TrueType & Type 1. Gill Sans also comes with several M$ products. (
> > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FID=155&FNAME=Gill+Sans+MT)
> >
> > An interesting thing about fonts is that while you can copyright the
> > name you can't copyright the look. So there can be only one font named
> > Helvetica but many "clones" such as Swiss, Geneva, etc.
----
for the record...Geneva is not an Helvetica clone but rather was a
Macintosh screen font that the Macintosh Postscript print drivers would
automatically substitute Helvetica at print time.

Helvetica is/was/has always been a Linotype 'trademark' font - I don't
know whether it has copyrights...

Helvetica is a trademark of Linotype Corp. registered in the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office and may be registered in certain other
jurisdictions in the name of Linotype Corp. or its licensee Linotype
GmbH.

see...
http://www.linotype.com/526/helvetica-family.html

I remember Swiss was a virtually identical font offered by Compugraphic
(purchased by Agfa) and perhaps other companies have similarly offered a
Swiss font.
----

> Fonts and how they are created, copyrighted, used, etc. is far more
> fascinating then most people know.  I studied about it years ago.  Fun
> stuff.
>
> I did have a related question brought to mind from your message.  I
> tweaked the presentation by slightly changing the size of the text.
> But, the specified font is still Gill Sans.  OpenOffice.org is just
> picking the closest equivalent that I have installed.  I think I should
> change the presentation file to specify the font that is actually in use.
>
> How do I get OpenOffice.org Impress to tell me the font it is actually
> using?
----
Generally, the first place to check/change is in the 'Format' menu =>
Styles and Formatting' <F11>

On a Word Processing or Spreadsheet document, it is likely that changing
the style called 'Default' would change the entire document but a
presentation document doesn't use a 'Default' style. It has a separate
'Outline' style for each level of the Outline and all you really need to
do (hopefully anyway) is to modify (right click on any named style).

This is unlikely to affect changes to any individually formatted style
within the document itself (overrides the stylesheet).

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>