upgrade advice

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 18:09:58 MST 2007

On Monday 27 August 2007 17:03, 'josh coffman' wrote:
> I've heard that adding memory to a linux box isn't straight forward. Is
> that true? I haven't had to add memory to a linux box where I wasn't also
> re-installing the OS.
heh. actually, adding ram is trivially easy (unless you have a kernel in place
that doesn't have support for >1GB of ram and even so, its still easy).

> Here's a really far fetched question.. The ASRock motherboard in my desktop
> has an expansion slot for an additional/replacement CPU. Anyone added or
> upgraded a CPU with an expansion slot before? Know if its possible with
> linux?
haven't seen one of those before. a crazy question, did that board come with a
manual? if so, then the info should be in there (though sometimes, it isn't,
so checking there isn't a bad first step). if not, what about the
manufacturers website?

> I probably wont upgrade the cpu during the life of this box, but I am
> curious about the cpu expansion slot... and if it would support multiple
> CPU's. (two X2 cpu's would be fun)

heheh. yeah, that would be (smp support and all that).