upgrade advice

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Aug 28 00:51:41 MST 2007

Am 27. Aug, 2007 schwätzte 'josh coffman' so:

> I've heard that adding memory to a linux box isn't straight forward. Is that true? I haven't had to add memory to a linux box where I wasn't also re-installing the OS.

The Linux kernel can handle whatever PCs can hold. Many years ago there
were problems for PCs and PC kernels such as Linux. That hasn't been an
issue for quite a while.

There are patches and parameters for better performance when you have more
RAM that you might investigate.

Performance also depends on the applications that you're
using. Someone recently mentioned that the ammount of RAM you need for
$proprietary_graphics_program is whatever you have plus a little more. As
you add RAM the RAM requirements go up.

> Here's a really far fetched question.. The ASRock motherboard in my desktop has an expansion slot for an additional/replacement CPU. Anyone added or upgraded a CPU with an expansion slot before? Know if its possible with linux?
>
> I probably wont upgrade the cpu during the life of this box, but I am curious about the cpu expansion slot... and if it would support multiple CPU's. (two X2 cpu's would be fun)

You'd likely have to move to an SMP kernel to take advantage of the second
CPU, but it wouldn't prevent Linux from running to not use an SMP kernel.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Fairy Tale, n.: A horror story to prepare children for the newspapers.