OT: Dell Hardware Warranty Support Job

Technomage technomage-hawke at cox.net
Fri Sep 29 02:19:13 MST 2006

On Friday 29 September 2006 00:58, Steven G Wagner wrote:
> Unfortunately it's all windoze support, but I imagine you could use it as a
> stepping stone to get into doing Linux support for Dell's enterprise line.
> Currently, I believe they farm it out to Linux Care.

that would be a good place for me to start... :)

> Anyway, I believe we're hiring another 180 techs (must have A+ or be able
> to get it by the end of the initial 4 week training period) and the pay is
> up to $18.50/hour. I get a $1000 referral bonus if you stay 120 days, so
> I'd split that with anyone who's interested too. I'll give anyone the info
> either way, just hit me up off-list.

why is it that only the good jobs require I spend money I don't yet have to
have a cert just to get the job that would pay me to have the cert (once
employed)?

this is frustrating. I don't have the $500.00 plus to take the course to get
the A++ cert and without the Certs these days, my chances of being employed
in any meaningful way are diminishing fast. :(

is there an available training program that offers some ability to pay over
time for it and offer an inroad to employment (such as an apprenticeship
program)? that is the only way I see getting hired.

sorry to be a "gloomy Gus" folks, but I've been turned away at ever
opportunity of late, or I haven't been contacted back in any way indicative
of either a "yes, you are hired" or "no, we could not hire you at this time".

contrary to popular belief. no news isn't necessarily "good news".

TMH
-- frustrated and without information.