Ubuntu group (Was: Re: roll call: Ubuntu users)

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Mon Sep 25 09:40:42 MST 2006

Josh,

My two cents inclosed.

On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:31 PM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

>   Thanks.  Ill go ahead and drive this one home if there is no
> particular opposition to my doing so.  The Ubuntu LoCo groups are
> taken fairly seriously and there is a level of formality that may
> be a bit alien to most Linux folks.

Word of advice.  Spending too much time creating structure takes away
from progress.  Firm believer of tackle politics after the group is
started and you know it is useful.  Have some meetings do somethings
and then it becomes a lot more clear about who has dedicated time and
who has the skills to put in what place going forward.  If it needs
to be formalized at that point formalize it.

>   If anyone has a problem with this, please speak up now.  If we
> want a vote, all I need is one person to speak up.  I would just
> consider it plain obnoxious to go ahead and put my name on the
> Ubuntu site without contacting the local Ubuntu users.

I would put PLUG down as the contact for now.  I would suggest asking
PLUG for 15 to 20 minutes of West/East side meetings to do a Ubuntu
segment.  I think this would help out PLUG as well as Ubuntu.  It
will help prevent having to set additional days/times and find
locations, but give a space/forum for this sub set to start
expanding.  At the point PLUG says they are sick of giving 15 minutes
to Ubuntu and/or people are want more than 15 or 20 mintues of Ubuntu
maybe it becomes time to start a formal Ubuntu group with its own
times and locations.

Just thoughts.

--
Derek Neighbors