Ubuntu group (Was: Re: roll call: Ubuntu users)

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 11:21:36 MST 2006

On 9/25/06, Derek Neighbors <derek at gnue.org> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> My two cents inclosed.
>
> On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:31 PM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>
> >   Thanks.  Ill go ahead and drive this one home if there is no
> > particular opposition to my doing so.  The Ubuntu LoCo groups are
> > taken fairly seriously and there is a level of formality that may
> > be a bit alien to most Linux folks.
>
> Word of advice.  Spending too much time creating structure takes away
> from progress.  Firm believer of tackle politics after the group is
> started and you know it is useful.  Have some meetings do somethings
> and then it becomes a lot more clear about who has dedicated time and
> who has the skills to put in what place going forward.  If it needs
> to be formalized at that point formalize it.

  Hi Derek,

   This is a matter of opinion... in my estimation its best to establish the
group on sound principles and clear intentions and problems will not arise
at a later time.  Some of these groups are very serious.  Some even print up
business cards.  I think that the reluctance to make structure is really
about deferring authoritative decisions, which quickly degrades into
anti-social behavior, which is something I hope the group will not be about.

>   If anyone has a problem with this, please speak up now.  If we
> > want a vote, all I need is one person to speak up.  I would just
> > consider it plain obnoxious to go ahead and put my name on the
> > Ubuntu site without contacting the local Ubuntu users.
>
> I would put PLUG down as the contact for now.

  PLUG is not a person and therefore does not qualify as a team contact.

  I would suggest asking
> PLUG for 15 to 20 minutes of West/East side meetings to do a Ubuntu
> segment.  I think this would help out PLUG as well as Ubuntu.  It
> will help prevent having to set additional days/times and find
> locations, but give a space/forum for this sub set to start
> expanding.  At the point PLUG says they are sick of giving 15 minutes
> to Ubuntu and/or people are want more than 15 or 20 mintues of Ubuntu
> maybe it becomes time to start a formal Ubuntu group with its own
> times and locations.

   I am not a huge fan of physical meetings.  They are a great way to
socialize, etc. but really are not necessary and often needlessly time
consuming.  Newsgroups are definitely interesting because people can
formulate strong opinions about someone without ever having met them in real
life, which can be quite unnatural for some.  A lot can happen through
email/blog/forum/etc. if it is taken seriously, which it rarely is.  Thanks
for the input Derek, jmz

Just thoughts.

> --
> Derek Neighbors
> Integrum Technologies

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com