kubuntu on old laptop

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 22:34:15 MST 2006

Thanks.  I never thought to scroll past all the foreign sites.  It is also
interesting that the first torrent I tried (in the UK) began with an
estimate of 7 days and dropped to 2 days in a couple of minutes.  I quit
that and tried a torent from norway which started at like 7 HOURS and
dropped to about 2 hours in a couple of minutes.

On 9/24/06, Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net> wrote:

> On the download page (where you choose a mirror site) scroll to the bottom
> and there is a small list of DVD distribution sites.  Almost nobody mirrors
> the DVD due to the huge size, so the few locations listed are mostly Ubuntu
> themselves.  Be kind to the intercontinental links and use bittorrent for
> the DVD download.
>
> Each variant (K/X/Ed/Ubuntu) is it's own sub-distribution, so they each
> have different disks.  Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and EdUbuntu each offer a DVD
> download (go the the appropriate site, select download, then go to the
> bottom of the page).  XUbuntu does not appear to have a DVD version
> available at the moment.
>
> There is a separate DVD for each architecture(i386/AMD64/PowerPC) as
> well.  All told there are 9 DVD's available, which is better than the 27
> CD's (Xubuntu is 9 more CD's, but no DVD's), but still a lot.
>
> The primary value of the DVD is the combining of Desktop/Server/Alternate,
> and the inclusion of many more packages on the DVD (the entire main
> repository I think), cutting down on the amount you'd have to download if
> you add a bunch of common tools right after install.
>
> ==Joseph++
>
> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > Where did you get the DVD?  I was not able to find a DVD iso for
> download,
> > but I only checked 8 of the USA sites.  For that matter what variations
> are
> > on it?  I was hoping desktop, server, alternate ununtu and kubuntu and
> > maybe
> > even the edu/xbuntu variants (though I would guess not al of
> them).  That
> > would be very handy for friends and for experimentation.
> >
> > On 9/23/06, Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hmmm....  I just ran the install this evening using the latest 6.06.1ISO
> >> and it had an option to do a text-based install, may have been DVD,
> >> however,
> >> I'll have to check...  Oops, I guess it was a DVD, thought it was a CD.
> >> I just checked the CD, though, and you're right, it only offers the
> Live
> >> install.  The alternate CD does offer the text-mode install.  I guess
> >> they
> >> combined them for the DVD and I just grabbed the wrong disk earlier.
> >> Points
> >> to an advantage for the DVD, it has all of the install methods right
> >> there,
> >> no fumbling for multiple disks.
> >>
> >> ==Joseph++

> >> to do
> >> a text-mode install (or OEM install or Server install), which bypasses
> >> the
> >> liveCD environment for slower machines, or if you just prefer
> non-graphic
> >> installs.

> site
> >> cd.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss